Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Why Alphabet Weekends?

How did this whole thing start?

I was helping my sister pack for her trip back to Nigeria, and by help I totally mean lazying about watching her free (for me) premium cable and blowing kisses at my niece and telling her :NO/Stop that/Come here/Want to go pee pee/Do you want time out? What a great help I am right?
Well I picked up a couple of books to take home with me as per usual and I happen to pick up this book, Alphabet Weekends: Love on the Road from A to Z by Elizabeth Noble. It's total chick-lit, my sister's house was filled with this particular genre, because she used it as research when she wrote her own novel, (SHAMELESS PLUG in 3, 2....) The Mrs. Club. The book wasn't anything spectacular, it was a slow read actually, but that is completely besides the point, back to the gist.

So here is a synopsis of the book:
" Natalie and Tom have been best friends forever, but Tom wants them to be much more. When Natalie's longtime boyfriend walks out on her just when she thinks he's going to propose, Tom offers her a different and wildly romantic proposition. He suggests that they spend twenty-six weekends together, indulging in twenty-six different activities from A to Z, and at the end of that time Tom's convinced they'll be madly in love. Natalie, however, is not so sure." Source



And I thought to myself
"Chica! That is such a cool idea, you should totally do that with..."

Ok, so I drew a blank. I'm not seeing anyone and there wasn't even a thought of anyone in the near future, so what to do?

Then I thought to myself again
"Bia, u this girl, aren't you always complaining about how you're not living the fabulous life you were looking forward to? Aren't you tired of turning into the dry chick, you like to complain about? Aren't you the one who comes up with all this amazing stuff to do but decide to sleep the few extra hours you have away? Do you want to turn 55 and wonder where you let your life go to? If you like stay there, be waiting for some man to come, so you can start living your life, dry yoyo! And to think some people think you're some cool chick like that, akuko! Fantasizer oshi! Yeye!"

So after being chopping insult like that, I decided, this is a new year coming up, and whether I want to or not, the clock isn't going to start reversing, so I better stop letting life happen to me and do some things I've always secretly wanted to do or purposely planned to do but never followed through. I mean what's the worst that could happen? I don't have fun, I find out I don't actually like something, what? So, during the holiday period, I scrapped the whole New Year's resolution exercise and made some alternate plans. I figure 26 weeks is just a little over 6 months, so I can spend this time getting to know myself and falling deeper in love with myself and hopefully at the end of it all I'll be changed for the better and have some new experiences that I can reflect on as an old woman. At the very least I won't have to hear insults like that again from my own self.

So I put a plan into action, and came up with some ideas for the A to Z weekends.



0 comments: